In all my skin consults I review my clients skincare routine. Many of them tell me that in the morning they simply wash their face with water, thinking they are doing their skin a favour.
A lot of times clients are frustrated with their skin, it’s either too dry, too oily or in the middle of a full blown breakout. And when faced with these frustrations and not sure what to do, they do nothing at all and just cleanse the skin with water.
At first glimpse this makes sense. A lot of us are constantly trying to find the perfect skincare products to fix our skin problems and since skincare products really only account for 15% of the resolution, clients tend to give up on their products and just stop using them at all.
Bottom line, water is much to alkaline for our skin and it’s actually drying your skin and damaging the skin barrier, clogging your pores with dead skin cells and possibly leading to your breakouts.
Too Alkaline? What does that even mean?
Most of us are aware of references concerning pH levels in skincare products, if not here’s the skinny.
Though pH is used to measure the potential of hydrogen in a number of areas, it is also used in measuring hydrogen in our skin. And a balanced pH is vital when trying to maintain healthy skin.
For quick reference pH is measured on a scale of 1 - 14 with seven (7) being neutral and healthy skin tends to be slightly acidic between 5 and 5.5 on the pH scale. So it makes sense that we would only want to be using products that are somewhat in the same range, especially our cleansers.
Anything below 5 would be considered more acidic then our skin, resulting in our skin to over produce oil, leading to oily skin and clogged pores and possibly an acne break out.
Anything above 5.5 would be considered Alkaline which strips and dries out the skin. This can also lead to acne as this dryness leads to dead skin cells on the skin surface, clogging the pores.
So every time you simply splash cold water on your face you are actually causing more damage then good. You will end up with a tightness and dryness in the skin and throwing your natural healthy skin pH out of balance.
But not to worry, you can still use your tap water just be sure to add quality, toxic free products to get balanced healthy skin!
If you are not sure where to start with your skincare routine, we suggest you try this:
1. Cleanse your face twice a day – our skin is an organ and it needs to breathe! Washing away, any make up or environmental toxins is essential in keeping your skin healthy and glowing.
On days where you wear make-up, we suggest a double cleanse. This will ensure you have removed your entire make up from the day and remove all dirt and oil.
Look for products that are full of antioxidants, vitamin A, E and omega-3 that keeps your skin well hydrated. This blend of pure oils keep your pores clear, your skin free from irritation and is ideal for all skin types including acne prone skin and combination skin.
2. Toner – the use of a toner seems to be under rated however it is essential in balancing your skin’s PH level. Keeping your skin’s PH level balanced can help avoid acne breakouts, control oily skin and hydrate dry skin. It is essential, so do not skip this step.
EASTND carries a cooling floral based toner that is an alcohol free formula that hydrates and smooths the skin while balancing it’s natural PH. It also controls the appearance of oil while enhancing the absorption and performance of oil serums for firmer, brighter skin.
3. Moisturize – there is a common belief that dry skin types need to moisturize more than other types. However, the truth is oily and combination skin requires daily moisturizer. Oily skin is a result of many external factors that cause our skin to dehydrate which then signals our sebaceous glands to produce oil, in some cases more oil than we need, leading to oily skin. The better you can hydrate your skin hydrate by drinking water and moisturizing, the less oil the sebaceous gland will need to produce.
Suitable for all skin types EASTND recommends and carries a moisturizer by Province Apothecary. It is rich and lightweight and can help with the appearance of fine lines while replenishing the skin’s moisture barrier. Enriched with Carrot oil that protects the skin leaving it smoother and revitalized. Rosehip Seed Oil naturally brightens the skin, improving texture and tone while reducing the signs of sun and age spots.
4. Serums - Not always needed but an amazing additions to any skincare routine. As an alternative to retinol which is a popular product treating fine line and wrinkles and even acne, we suggest Bakuchiol. A natural safe alternatives with all the benefits but none of the side effects.
4. Exfoliate – 2-3 times a week, our skin benefits from exfoliation. Exfoliating, removes dead skin cells that unblocks pores, allows skin products to penetrate deeper, prevents acne, evens skin tone, increases cell turn over, stimulates collagen, boosts circulation and lymphatic drainage. Yes, it accomplishes a lot!
Infused with Green Tea and Lavender the exfoliators available at EASTND polish the surface of the skin, smoothing and brightening your complexion.
5. SFP – this is a must! A SFP of 30-50 reduces your risk of skin cancer and protects your skin from premature aging.
EastND carries a line of sunblock from Salt & Stone. An organic all natural formula that is water resistant and formulated to last 80 minutes. Glides smoothly unto the skin leaving no white residue.
6. H20 – the best thing you can do for your skin is to keep it hydrated by drinking water. If you struggle getting enough water, as many of us do, EASTND offers custom IV Infusions that hydrate and nourish the skin!
7. Monthly professional skincare treatments will just take your skin to the next level. Skincare treatments and products not safe to use daily and should be performed by a trained medical aesthetician will support your skincare goals in a way you can’t do at home.
This skin regime is easy to implement and best of all with consistency can lead to healthy, clear, smooth, glowing skin!
All these and more natural safe products available at EASTND.
Take this as an opportunity to have a professional natural skin rejuvenation treatment with our medical aesthetician at EASTND.
Karen, Medical Aesthetician - Follow Us on Instagram
Don’t miss out! Receive our LOVE YOUR SKIN newsletter. Sign up below!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. You'r information will not be shared.