A 3-Step Protocol for Morning Sickness Developed by Our ND's
During the first trimester of pregnancy, many people will experience nausea and vomiting, commonly known as “morning sickness”. Despite its name, nausea and vomiting can occur at any time of day. It usually begins at the 6th week of pregnancy and disappears by week 16 or 18 and affects the quality of life of those experiencing it.
At EASTND, our naturopathic doctors and acupuncturist work closely with our clients experiencing nausea and vomiting during the first trimester. Our goal is to help reduce the duration and severity of symptoms to help improve their quality of life with a holistic approach to care.
N A T U R A L A L T E R N A T I V E S: The conventional treatment for first-trimester nausea is a drug called Diclectin, a combination of doxylamine succinate and pyridoxine HCL - aka Vitamin B6. It is considered to be safe in pregnancy and does not cause harmful effects to the fetus. However, the side effects of Diclectin include brain fog and drowsiness.
At our Moncton and Charlottetown locations, we have put together a 3-step Naturopathic protocol as an alternative option to help reduce nausea in the first trimester.
- Acupuncture: Using Traditional Chinese Medicine, our naturopathic doctors and acupuncturists use protocols to work on a deficiency in the TCM stomach organ, which can be the cause of nausea. Not only is acupuncture safe during pregnancy, it also allows us to work on other symptoms like anxiety, stress, sleep, and heartburn that can be experienced during pregnancy. We recommend weekly acupuncture sessions for 4-6 weeks to see the best results.
- Auricular Acupressure Ear Seeds: Our team at EASTND have developed customized acupressure ear seed kits relevant to various health concerns. These ACU // HAUS seed kits are available at the Moncton and Charlottetown locations and are applied after every acupuncture session. Auricular acupressure seeds allow for longer lasting benefits of your weekly acupuncture as well as more rapid symptom improvement.
- B Vitamin Injections: Getting an injection is often recommended in conjunction with acupuncture, and we customize B vitamin injections to support women experiencing morning sickness.
- B6: B6 has been shown a safe and effective way to reduce nausea; remember that B6 is the main ingredient in the conventional Dialectin, the most common pharmaceutical associated with morning sickness.
- B9 (folate): B9 can help correct a deficiency associated with a potential cause of nausea. Additionally, there is increased need for folate in the first trimester and an injection can help compliment the folate in your prenatal vitamin.
- B12: B12 can help reduce some of the fatigue experienced in the 1st trimester. It supports healthy blood and brain health in both mom and babe, as well as supporting mood and energy levels in expecting women.
We have Naturopathic Doctors and Acupuncturists that offer acupuncture treatments in both Moncton and Charlottetown - contact us to book!
M O N C T O N : [email protected] // (506) 830-8333
C H A R L O T T E T O W N : [email protected] // (902) 367-5300
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. You'r information will not be shared.