Elderberry Syrup for Cold & Flu
Sambucus canadensis, or Elderberry, is one of my favourite herbs this time of year.
- It acts deeply on the respiratory tract, decreasing congestion (quickly at that!)
- promotes detoxification through our pores and digestive tract – helping us prevent and recover from the flu!
- It’s powerful but gentle and safe – and a definite go-to if you have children in the house.
hen I start see runny noses and coughs with mucus 1 tbsp of Elderberry syrup 2-3x a day is a must!
In a small pot add…
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of honey
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 3/4 cup of Elderberries (We have ordered them in at The Pear Tree just for you!)*
- 1 tsp of ginger
- Let it simmer for 30 minutes. Strain out the elderberries and store in airtight container (if you’re anything like us, mason jars are all over the house and these work perfectly!).
Store in fridge. Use 1 tbsp/day preventatively or 2-3tbsp/day at first signs of cold and flu.
ps. if you're looking for elderberries, I order them in regularly from a herbal dispensary in Toronto - give me a heads up and I will get them in!